Hi Rafael

Just to amplify Matthew and David's point about random microseed matrix
screening -

1.  The idea is you add seeds to RANDOM SCREENS - not everyone understands
this!  People find it very hard to "let go" of the first conditions they
see that give them crystals.

2.  I now have the opposite point of view: if I have a choice between
seeding and non-seeding conditions I always try to work with the seeding
ones.  The reason is, you have far more *control*, because you can dilute
the seed stock and "dial up" the number of crystals that you want per drop.

3.  Try cross-seeding with crystals of homologous proteins, mutants etc,
even crystals with 20% sequence identity can work.

4.  Seeds are not all alike - sometimes seeds with a particular unit cell
work but other seeds (different unit cell) don't.  See ref**

5.  Just throw seeds in with a new project - at worst you're running
another screening experiment.

** Acta Cryst. <https://journals.iucr.org/f> (2014). F*70*
<https://journals.iucr.org/f/contents/backissues.html>, 1107-1115, Obmolova
et al.  Crystals of Fab 3-53/L6, grown by self-seeding, diffracted to 2.8Å
(Figure 4b).  However crystals of the same protein grown by cross-seeding
(with crystals of a homologous Fab) looked completely different and
diffracted to 2.3Å  (figure 4c).

https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?nj5193 (open access).

Your project shouts "seed me".

Hope it works

Patrick

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:27 PM Whitley, Matthew J <mjw...@pitt.edu> wrote:

> I want to second the recommendation to try microseed matrix screening.  I
> recently had a case of a protein that did not yield any crystals after
> trying more than 500 conditions.  Of those 500, one single condition gave
> to me what appeared to be crystalline material, but not distinct single
> crystals.  I harvested that well, crushed up the material as best I could
> to make a seed stock, and then used the seed stock with the first 48
> conditions of I think the JCSG+ screen.  Came back the next day, checked
> the trays under the microscope, and was astonished to find at least 10
> wells that had gorgeous crystals in them.  I harvested a few crystals from
> different wells, shot them at the Advanced Photon Source, and nearly
> fainted when diffraction to almost 1 Å popped up on the monitor for
> almost all of them.  So, you could say I’m a believer in random microseed
> matrix screening now …
>

> Good luck.
>

> Matthew
>

> ---
>
> Matthew J. Whitley, Ph.D.
>
> Research Instructor
>
> Department of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
>
> University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:54:15 +0000
> From:    David Briggs <david.bri...@crick.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: Micro/Macro crystal seeding experience
>
> Hi Rafael, there are many potential answers to questions such as this.
>
> Here are the first few that spring to mind:
>

>   1.  Did you test room temperature diffraction? Is it your
> cryo-protectant that is causing problems.
>   2.  What is your cryo-cooling protocol? Do you just dunk the crystals
> straight in to crystallisation liquor + 30% glycerol, or do you slowly step
> up the cryo-protectant concentration?
>   3.  Additive screens are worth a try.
>   4.  Modify the construct (trim termini, tags, or disordered loop
> regions).
>   5.  Microseed matrix screening to look for alternative conditions. (
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.douglas.co.uk%2Fmms.htm&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmjw100%40PITT.EDU%7C5f603236dfef49d09b5308d8a2d6b188%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C0%7C637438390278906705%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=JJ1pHkScwTx8%2FJCZPXY9DYlIzosr9j67alrdsXIseCY%3D&amp;reserved=0
> )
>
> Good luck!
>
> Dave
>
> --
> Dr David C. Briggs
> Senior Laboratory Research Scientist
> Signalling and Structural Biology Lab
> The Francis Crick Institute
> London, UK
> ==
> about.me/david_briggs

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36