It is a long time since I had any practical concerns with this issue, but
some funding bodies are more flexible than others. Welcome gives project
grants then leaves it up to the recipient to hire and plan. And I guess the
big research institutes like the crick and lmb have similar systems. It is
obvious that this approach is much more productive than the shorter term
grants - is there any mileage in someone doing a survey of
“outcomes”(horrible word) and pointing out that productivity increases with
more security?
And as for the national scandal of milking money fir visas from those who
come here from abroad - already saving us from the cost of their education
- I don’t know what to say!
Eleanor