Protein Scientist
The Zhang lab (Broad Institute and MIT) is seeking to recruit a full-time staff
research scientist to contribute to our on-going efforts to biochemically
characterize novel natural systems and engineer them to develop biotechnologies
that improve our planet and people’s lives.

The Zhang lab has pioneered a number of new biotechnologies, including
CRISPR-mediated genome editing, new approaches for high-throughput genetic
screening, DNA microscopy, CRISPR-based diagnostics, and single-cell genomics
methods. These advancements often stem from natural systems, and the lab is
also at the forefront of discovering and characterizing novel molecular
systems. Collectively, our work encompasses many disciplines, including
computational biology, evolutionary biology, microbiology, biochemistry and
structural biology, molecular biology, genomics, and bioengineering. Our lab is
a fun, vibrant, fast-paced, results-driven, nurturing, and collaborative
environment.

We are looking for a talented and skillful scientist to help experimentally
characterize novel biological systems and determine their function, with an eye
toward harnessing them for molecular biotechnologies. Experience with protein
purification, structural biology, biochemical assays, or protein engineering is
required, and familiarity with protein-nucleic acid complexes is desirable. The
candidate will collaborate with existing lab members or new hires as needed to
advance the project.

The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard offers an outstanding place to work. The
workplace culture is diverse, dynamic, progressive, and supports a healthy
work-life balance. To support this mission, the Zhang lab strives for a
workplace culture that supports diversity, intellectual curiosity, flexibility,
and integrity. Broad employees receive a generous benefits package (including a
salary competitive with industry, dental, vision and health insurance,
retirement plan, and additional benefits) and a range of possibilities for
career advancement. Details on our benefits package can be found here -
https://www.broadinstitute.org/benefits/benefits-working-broad

PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
·       Purify proteins and protein-nucleic acid complexes
·       Perform biochemical assays to characterize proteins and their nucleic
acid components
·       Stay current on the field and think deeply about creative new ways to
have an impact
·       Contribute to the lab through teamwork and discussion
·       Help to train, supervise, and mentor junior staff as needed

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
·       MSc or PhD in a relevant field (e.g., biochemistry, molecular biology).
·       Eager to work in a team and collaborate
·       Demonstrated scientific contributions to the field
·       Superior experimental planning skills
·       Proven ability to efficiently and effectively solve problems
·       Outstanding clarity of thought in communications (written and oral)

Please send CV to zhangrecruit...@broadinstitute.org if interested.