*PhD Position: molecular structural biology of muscle signalling*

We have a vacancy for a PhD student to join our laboratory at the Department of
Biology, University of Konstanz, Germany.

Our laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms underpinning the architecture,
stress response, adaptation and disease process of striated muscle. The focus
of this PhD project will be on understanding the assembly and regulation of
biomedically relevant, titin-based signalling nodes in the sarcomere. We apply
an integrative approach to structural biology that combines a rich variety of
biochemical, biophysical and structural methodologies (with emphasis on X-ray
crystallography).

Qualifications

Applicants should hold (or be in the process of acquiring) a Master's degree in
biochemistry, biophysics, life sciences or related discipline, and be
interested in learning both laboratory-based and computational analyses as
applicable to the study of molecular systems. A strong motivation to understand
and discover the molecular mechanisms that enable function in living cells is
required. Basic experience in molecular biology and/or recombinant protein
production is expected. Good command of written and spoken English, the ability
to work in a team, and good communication and organizational skills are
required. Some initial knowledge of a structural/biophysical method would be of
advantage.

Application

Applications should contain the following documents in PDF format:

1. Applicant's CV
2. Copies of original degree transcripts displaying marks obtained
2. *Short* statement of motivation for pursuing PhD studies in molecular
sciences
3. Contact details of two referees

Informal enquiries and application materials should be submitted by email to:

olga.may...@uni-konstanz.de

The position is now available and applications will be considered until the
position is filled.

Prof. Olga Mayans
Biophysics and Structural Biology
Dept of Biology