Dear ccp4bb,

I am having an issue with a non-standard amino acid in Coot. I have a cyclic
peptide that is stapled using two cysteine residues and a methylene bridge. I
have prepared a restraints file using ACEDRG for a methyl cysteine as a
surrogate for one of the cysteine residues and I have fitted it into the
density in the appropriate space within the peptide where the cysteine would
have been. I have made LINKs between the appropriate atoms of the previous and
subsequent amino acids in the peptide chain to the methyl cysteine, as well as
between the methyl component of the methyl cysteine and the bonded cysteine
residue to form a methylene bridge. The resulting pdb file runs without fault
within REFMAC, but when I open the refined files in Coot and try to triple
refine the methyl cysteine within the peptide chain Coot pushes all the
residues away from each other.

Please can someone advise as to what I am missing/doing wrong!

Many thanks in advance,

Gareth