Dear all, thanks all for the several references you emailed around.

Here's a summary:

A Suite of Engineered GFP Molecules for Oligomeric Scaffolding
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969212615002890

Dimerization properties of the RpBphP2 chromophore-binding domain crystallized by homologue-directed mutagenesis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22868772/

An approach to crystallizing proteins by synthetic symmetrization

Why protein crystals favour some space-groups over others
https://www.nature.com/articles/nsb1295-1062

Infinite Assembly of Folded Proteins in Evolution, Disease,and Engineering
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/anie.201806092

James Holton duly challenged me, and here's my reply:

   JH: If I told you "no, that's not true", how would you go about
   proving me wrong?  What would that data look like?
   --
   FvD: Geezus, I don't know!   It's not me that hurled this brainfart
   around the grant funding agencies 20 years ago... That's why I asked

   But my primary goal was to have something to stick into the
   introduction to a paper, so that has been achieved. Whether it's
   ethical to perpetuate a brainfart by citing other expressions of the
   brainfart is a reasonable question, but this one would rank quite
   low on the impact-of-transgression scale, methinks.

But Dhiraj's reply to my original question is a surely a better one:
/"Recently there were few articles where synthetic symmetrization was used to enhance the crystallizability. proteins used were MBP, lysozyme and GFP to name a few."//
/
It implies the weight-of-evidence is out there - hint to you enterprising students, looking for something *actually useful* to write a review about!

Frank