Hi everyone

Looking for your first job in the pharmaceutical industry? Do you enjoy protein
purification, and can you operate an AKTA to run IMAC, IEX and SEC protein
purifications without supervision? Do you want an opportunity to learn about
antibody and small molecule drug discovery, by attending the project meetings?
Then check out the maternity cover position (1 year contract) in our Protein
Purification team at UCB (Slough, UK).
A full job description can be found below. If you want to apply, send your CV
and cover letter to:
protein.purificat...@ucb.com<mailto:protein.purificat...@ucb.com>
Please note that you need to have the right to work in the UK.

Research Scientist - maternity cover - UCB (Slough, UK)
Everything we do starts with a simple question: "How will this make a
difference to the lives of people living with severe diseases?" And to find the
answers, we connect globally with patients and their families living with the
physical and social burdens of severe disease. These connections give us new
perspectives, drive our innovation, and offer a hope for a new generation of
therapies that will help to transform lives.
Role overview
The Protein Production Group provides support for all NBE & NCE projects from
early stage target validation through to those undergoing pre-clinical
evaluation, by generating recombinant protein reagents for immunization,
structural studies, assays and compound screening.  All reagents produced
undergo biophysical analysis in order to enhance our understanding of their
stability and solubility.  You will be part of the Protein Production Group
playing a key role in project success by generating high quality protein
reagents in a timely manner.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to rapidly impact on a wide
range of our NBE & NCE projects, and to significantly contribute to the
progression of these projects into the clinic and beyond.
Primary responsibilities
*       You will be responsible for expressing and purifying high-quality
recombinant protein reagents to support UCB's novel world-leading antibody and
NCE drug discovery platforms for a variety of exciting therapeutic projects.
*       You will use your excellent practical skills, communication and team
working abilities to drive innovative projects forward from the laboratory.
*       You will be responsible for clearly presenting work and engaging in
discussion in a variety of cross-functional and external collaborator meetings.

Essential experience
Candidates may be fresh PhD holders with relevant experience, or Bachelor/MSc
degree holders currently working as skilled Research Scientists, within the
Biopharmaceutical or Pharmaceutical industry.
We are looking for candidates who are fully independent and competent in the
following skill sets:
*       Molecular Biology (DNA manipulation techniques and use of VNTI and/or
other DNA analysis software).
*       Protein Expression in E. coli and/or Mammalian cell systems.
*       Protein Purification (Affinity, Ion Exchange, Size Exclusion
Chromatography, UV-Vis spectroscopy, protein refolding techniques and extensive
working knowledge of AKTA purification platforms and associated software)
*       Protein Analysis (SDS PAGE, UPLC/HPLC, Western blotting)
*       Molecular Visualisation of proteins (PyMOL or similar).
*       Experience with X-ray crystallography or cryo-EM would be an advantage
*       Ability to work on several projects and conduct experiments in parallel.
*       Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
*       A highly motivated individual with a proven ability to deliver to tight
timelines.
*       A team player, with good organisational, communication, record keeping
and inter-personal skills are essential requirements.
*       Presentations within the group and to project teams will also be
expected.
*       Possess an inquisitive and innovative nature and a passion for
delivering innovative new medicines for patients suffering with serious disease.

We can offer you the opportunity to rapidly impact on a wide range of our NBE &
NCE projects, and to significantly contribute to the progression of these
projects into the clinic and beyond.  Informal and open working environment
that does not lock scientists into structure and hierarchy.  Freedom to take
space to pursue your own ideas and make a difference.  Opportunities and
expectations to develop global visibility and an international reputation as a
scientist in your field.

Best wishes

Seppe Leysen
Principal Scientist
Protein Structure & Biophysics
UCB
216 Bath Road
SL1 3WE
Slough
UK

________________________________
Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for
the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information which is
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for
which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone
other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are
not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the
electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies which may be in your
possession. UCB screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that
this electronic mail is free of any viruses. UCB accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail. (Ref: #*UG1107)
[Ref-UG1107]