Please join us………………

Sidel Yalcin

Yale University

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16, 13:30 (DST)

"Electrogenetic Control of Bacteria via Protein Nanowires Capable of Ultrafast
Charge Transport and

Storage for Next-Generation of Bioelectronic Materials and Devices"

Register in advance for this meeting:

  https://bnl.zoomgov.com/meeting/register/vJItc-yvpzsoHF1vnGho1CztnA-wRfHzxI4

Abstract:

Commercial bioelectronic devices to date rely on silicon-based technology.
Despite decades of effort, current structural, electronic, and optical
materials remain fundamentally bioincompatible. Synthetic conducting polymers
are typically stiff and brittle, as well as non-biodegradable, and show poor
stability and performance due to disorder. We aim to leverage the unique
ability of bacterial systems to synthesize electronic materials with high
conductivity and ability to self-repair and replicate. Electrogenetics has
potential to efficiently control bacterial growth, adhesion, and communication.
We have found that electric fields can directly control bacterial synthesis of
nanowires made up of cytochromes OmcS (Cell 2019) and OmcZ (Nature Chem.Bio.
2020) without any mediators. We have further found that the nanowires are
translocated to the bacterial surface using pili that serve as a piston to
secrete cytochromes rather than functioning as nanowires as previously thought.

World Clock: NYC (DST)  13:30;  London 17:30; Paris 18:30; New Delhi 11:00 PM;
Shanghai 1:30 AM (Thursday); Tokio 2:30 AM (Thursday); Sidney  4:30 am
Thursday; San Francisco 10:30 AM (PCT)

==================

Vivian Stojanoff, PhD

Education, Training, Outreach