Hi Jon,

There are placeholders for ASP/ASN and GLU/GLN ambiguities: ASX and GLX
respectively. You can just use those. AFAICT there no such thing for VAL/THR
ambiguities. You could look for the most likely canadidata based on multiple
sequence alignments. Refinement of both alternatives can give hints in
B-factors and if you are lucky in difference density. But if hydrogen bonding
gives no hints, then the residues are also not in a place where the identity
really matters. You can give your best guess with a CAVEAT record or use the
name UNK to indicate that you do not know what the residue is. You would loose
the knowledge that it is either VAL or THR in that case.

Cheers,
Robbie