Hello all

I am writing to request opinions from the community regarding the following:

*Situation:* An ASU comprising a non-crystallographic homo-octamer of a
biological monomer was obtained from MR. Electron density in the initial
2Fo-Fc, as well as Fo-Fc maps, seems to vary widely* across the eight
protomers for

   - the supposedly co-crystallized ligand (Kd ~100 micro-molar, determined
   with ITC) and
   - 1-2 flexible loops (too far from the ligand to interact with it
   directly)

*Decision:* Before commencing to do refinement in such a case, would it be
advisable to omit the flexible loops / binding site residues from the NCS
reference group to avoid inadvertently averaging out the density of
structural elements with partial occupancies (ligands and flexible loops)?

* varying from non-existent in some protomers to huge unmodeled blobs in
others.

Please write for any clarifications / further details. I would be highly
grateful for any help in this regard.

Best regards.

Nitin Kulhar
PhD student
c/o Dr Rajakumara Eerappa
Macromolecular Structural Biology Group
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
Kandi, Sangareddy
Telangana, India - 502285

--

Disclaimer:- This footer text is to convey that this email is sent by one
of the users of IITH. So, do not mark it as SPAM.