Hello,

I have never tried any of the migration tools you listed, so can't advise on
their use.

But regarding your first option of doing a backup, reformatting from btrfs to a
different filesystem, restoring the backup and proceeding with the upgrade with
a non-official tool: you might as well do a clean install of the new OS
(whichever you choose) instead, then restore your backup.

>From my understanding, RHEL derivatives are not designed for automatic upgrade
>between major versions, they expect you to backup your /home and do a clean
>install. The justification is that they have very long support (the
>earlier-than-originally-planned end of life of CentOS is a consequence of
>recent policy changes since IBM bought Red Hat, and hopefully only an
>outlier), so you only rarely need to do this tedious clean install and porting
>of your old configuration.

Debian, on the other hand, is designed to handle upgrades between major
versions (I would still do a backup before attempting this) and smoothly
migrate configuration, so maybe this is the OS you want from now on.

Backing up data is not too difficult (but check your backups). Configuration is
more difficult, especially because defaults change between versions, so the
configuration files you back up are not guaranteed to play well with the new
system. It is tedious to have to configure a freshly installed OS, but on the
other hand the really critical pieces of configuration are often not that many,
and you might be better off porting them to a freshly installed system than
trying to keep your old configuration files in place during an upgrade.

I hope this helps,

Guillaume