Dear All,

What follows below is not very specific to the particular program
(STAIRSANISO) nor the original questions, but nonetheless, I believe it is
relevant.

In the past, performing any adjustments to the diffraction data intended
for solving and refining atomic models was more or less considered taboo.
When cryo-EM emerged as a competitor to x-ray crystallography, the paradigm
began to shift. In cryo-EM, manipulations applied to the data (the map) are
a standard practice. The map can be boxed, filtered (sharpened, blurred,
etc.), modified (e.g., setting something outside the molecular region), and
so forth; you name it. One might wonder why the same isn't done to x-ray
data. Historical analogies include truncating data beyond 6-8Å resolution
to avoid dealing with the bulk solvent or default sharpening (a feature
available in X-plor for some time, then removed for obvious reasons,
AFAIK), choosing resolution limits (PAIRREF), and anisotropic data
massaging by the UCLA server as a more recent example. STAIRSANISO is the
leader in doing things along these lines as of today.

Indeed, why not if this is helpful to solve the structure? However, it's
important that the deposition clearly contains and annotates at least the
following:

- the original unmanipulated data;
- modified data (by whatever method or program);
- accessible information about the data that was used to obtain the final
deposited atomic model.

Note *accessible* above as this is the key for what follows below.

Let's consider this example: https://files.rcsb.org/download/6R72-sf.cif ,
which is representative of the class of problems I'm trying to convey here.

The file has everything, kudos to the authors: The original data, the
manipulated data and a whole lot more.

Are these data accessible?

YES, if you download the file, open it in your favorite text editor, and
carefully scroll and read through its 76,566 lines and use your best guess
to infer what are the original data arrays, what are the modified data
arrays and so on.

NO, absolutely NO, if you parse data files in PDB automatically with a
script, and attempt to extract particular data (eg., original unmanipulated
data). And this is what I find problematic, especially given 215+k entries
in PDB as of today.

Hope someone does something about it!

All the best!
Pavel