Dear all,

A 3-year PhD position is available within the IMMUDOCS doctoral pilot project
in my lab at the Structural Bioinformatics Laboratory, Åbo Akademi University,
Turku, Finland: Expanding Toolbox for Targeted Oncotherapy: Intercepting
Clever-1.

Our research focuses on the structural, biochemical and biophysical analyses of
proteins involved in inflammation, infection and cancer. We use a wide range of
techniques including molecular biology, protein expression and purification,
biochemical and biophysical protein interaction studies, X-ray crystallography,
SAXS and Cryo-EM. The open PhD position is part of a larger interdisciplinary
effort towards developing Clever-1-targeted immunotherapy. Novel cancer
treatments complementary to the immune checkpoint targeting therapies are
urgently needed to combat currently non-treatable cancers. Macrophage-targeted
therapies, which break the immune-tolerance of tumors and assist activating
host immune defense mechanisms, belong to these innovative treatments.
Targeting Clever-1 with anti-Clever-1 antibody bexmarilimab interferes with the
immunosuppressive properties of macrophages and slows the spread of cancer. As
part of the project, we will determine the 3D structure for Clever-1 and
elucidate its interactions with bexmarilimab at the atomic level to uncover
inhibitory epitope. The obtained results will enable structure-based drug
design of small molecular inhibitors expanding the toolbox for
Clever-1-targeted oncotherapy.

We are looking for a self-motivated PhD student with good communication skills
and a strong interest in structural biology, protein biochemistry, biophysics
and structure-function relationship and a previous exposure to relevant
research areas during their master education.

Applicants must have accomplished their Master's studies (or equivalent) on
July 31 2024.

The application must be made online before April 15th, 2024:
https://abo.rekrytointi.com/paikat/index.php?jid=780&key=&o=A_RJ&rspvt=ba2lzeepo68kg04g0kgsw044o80kccg

<https://abo.rekrytointi.com/paikat/index.php?jid=780&key=&o=A_RJ&rspvt=ba2lzeepo68kg04g0kgsw044o80kccg>

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Tiina

Tiina A. Salminen, Professor

Head of Subject Cluster for Biochemistry and Cell Biology

Structural Bioinformatics Laboratory and InFLAMES Research Flagship Center

Biochemistry, Faculty of Science and Engineering

Abo Akademi University

Tykistökatu 6A

FI-20520 Turku

Finland