On 2015-06-24 13:40, Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2015-06-24 08:45, Holm Tiffe wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:

Well, unless I'm mistaken, when the Russian VAX-11/730 on a chip came,
DEC had already produced the uVAX II, which is also just a chip, but
much faster than an 11/730, so it's not exactly as if the Russians were
outperforming what DEC was doing... Exactly when did this Russian chip
come out, by the way? Curious on exactly how far DEC had come at the
time of that chip. :-)

    Johnny

--

That wasn't the question at all Johnny.
I wanted to make clear that not all clones are clones.

It's hard to define exactly what a clone is anyways. But DEC was very
aware of the fact that the Russians were copying their stuff.
Just look at the CVAX, when they even put a message in Russian on the
silicon, for anyone to read, if they actually went down and looked at
the chip at the gate level... :-)

Just for people who might be amused: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/pages/russians.html

(And it Bob Supnik is reading this, he might be even more amused.)

        Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books