On 08/01/2015 07:05 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

When repairing CPU motherboards with bad caps, this is a really big
problem.  I dilute the lead-free solder with leaded solder, this
helps lower the melting point to where two soldering irons (one on
each side of the board) can be used to clear out the plated-through
holes.  Those are multilayer boards, and way worse.

Ever tried using a fusible alloy such as Chip-Quick? That can make things very easy to remove without overheating the PCB. (I use a plain old PAR38 120W spotlight/reflector to heat things up.

--Chuck