On 8/15/2015 12:40 PM, tony duell wrote:
I have a number of laboratory instruments that are from the 1990 time
frame.  They produce digital data that is the digitized signal from a
detector, the data can be from 512 to 65K samples long.  The ADC used in
these instruments is a 16bit 100ksample/sec design.  The ADC is in a 3
by 4 inch metal box with a row of pins on each long edge.
[...]

What is inside the box?  Is it a hybrid circuit?
I came across somewhat similar looking ADC and DAC modules in an I2S image
display system. These were flat metal cans with pins on the bottom, going into
individual sockets on the PCB.

In that case the can could be opened up quite easily (I think just a couple of
points
to unsolder. Inside was a PCB _stuffed_ with components, including several
possibly
custom metal-can ICs (in the case of the ADC I susect fast analogue
comparators).

Have you tried to open your module? It may not be potted.

-tony
I got a close enough look to get some markings deciphered. It is an Analog Solutions ZAD 2716-1 model. A picture of it can be found here:

http://www.stronic.fr/photos/ANA1001.jpg

The metal box is a shield and is soldered to the circuit card, I think that opening it up would be sort of a one way trip.

I found a discussion of it at:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/lavry_forum/viewtopic.php?t=598

The fellow who designed it actually has some kind of audio forum!

Doug