> On Aug 20, 2015, at 09:54 , Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Ok, but when you refer to "drive strength" I assumed you were talking about
> current, not voltage.  By that measure totem pole outputs are pretty much
> symmetrical.

Again, CMOS totem pole outputs are pretty much symmetrical, but TTL totem pole
outputs aren't even close. Looking at a Fairchild 74LS04 datasheet, I see a 20x
difference in recommended drive-high current (Ioh = 0.4mA) vs. recommended
drive-low current (Iol = 8mA). And the voltages are correspondingly different,
too: at rated drive current of 0.4mA, Voh = 2.7V (min) to 3.4V (typ) with a 5V
supply, while Vol is 0.35V (typ) to 0.5V (max) at 8mA drive current. So that's
> 1.6V drop from Vcc while sourcing a mere 0.4mA, vs. < 0.5V rise from GND
while sinking 8mA.

Totem pole outputs just mean that the output driver actively drives both up and
down, with two stacked drive transistors. It does not imply that the drive
strengths are even close to being equal, particularly when we're talking about
TTL logic in a vintage computer.

Incidentally, TTL inputs also present asymmetric loads for high vs. low inputs
at about the same ratio (18x input current ratio in the 74LS04 example when
driven at the input thresholds), and have asymmetrical input threshold
voltages. So unloaded TTL output voltages aren't relevant if we assume that the
output is driving a TTL input of the same logic family. Even if a TTL output
appears to drive all the way up to Vcc with no load, it won't once it's driving
a typical load.

So you might think of those TTL totem pole drivers as being symmetrical when
they're strictly driving TTL inputs of the same family, since the TTL inputs
and TTL outputs are designed to work together. But they're very strongly
asymmetrical when driving things other than TTL inputs, such as the LEDs in
question here.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/