On 08/22/2015 02:41 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
Thanks. Really, such mistakes aren't too demoralizing if one can get the parts, get them in a reasonable amount of time, at a reasonable price, and have the skill to do the fix
One of the biggest oopses I ever had was I got a Memorex 10 MB hard drive with SASI controller for my S-100 /CP/M system. I had just gotten it very roughly working, when I was fiddling with something and the SASI controller touched the drive and there were sparks. I did the finger test first, and replaced all chips that were sizzling hot. Then, I went through, looking for bad logic levels, and replaced the chips driving those signals. Then, when I still had bad logic levels, I replaced the chips receiving those signals. All the time I was worred that it might have popped one or more of the microcode ROMS. Well, after some more replacing, it finally came back up, and the CP/M OS I had on the drive still worked!

I guess I've had a few more cases where something went poof, but that is one of the ones I still remember well.

Jon