On 09/21/2015 06:23 PM, Mouse wrote:
Wirth & Co. started the project in FORTRAN, but gave up, particularly
when it was realized that implementing data structures and recursion
in FORTRAN was going to be a bit of a task.

I think that if I wanted to build a Pascal compiler in FORTRAN I would
build a p-code engine in FORTRAN and implement the compiler in that.

But I don't know if they had the concepts to do that.  Not that I think
that inventing a p-code engine was beyond them, but it certainly would
have raised the bar.

Wirth and Co. didn't invent P-code. I worked with a fellow who did a P-code implementation of COBOL back in the 60s (it ran in a 6600 PP).

--Chuck