On 11/10/15 3:56 PM, Brad Parker wrote:
fyi:  from the 6502 faq:

/* How do you turn bitmaps into polygons?/
We draw them in our custom Python app.  We spent about two months looking at
automatic vectorization and using the bitmaps to create polygon fragments, but
neither of these was better than just
sitting down and clicking out the polygons.  It's almost essential to have our
own vector drawing app, so we can control snapping, do fancy copy-paste, get
good vector data, and greatly speed up the
work.

/* How did automatic vectorization fail?/
It was more work to clean up the results of automatic vectorization than to do
clean work in the first place.  Damage, dirt, and ambiguous or falsely detected
features in the chip die shots create
problems.  We also rely on finding and modelingburied contacts
<http://www.intel4004.com/buried.htm>like they would appear in the original
fabrication masks, not like they appear in silicon.  This is
very difficult, if not impossible, to do automatically.

I'm not surprised by this.  So in the end, a human brain figured out where the polygons
are.  It might be a fun "internet distributed" project to farm out sections to
lots of people and then assemble
the results...

-brad

you may want to check out