On 12/13/2015 12:37 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
One trick we used back in the day (I used it on my LA50 and also the
decwriter at school someone misdirected a print job to) was to spray a bit
of WD-40 into the ribbon spool.

Hmm, I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Is the VIC 1525 a dot-matrix printer?

Well, it's an impact printer, I guess. AIUI, it just has a single pin (driven by a single solenoid) which hits the page through the ribbon, rather than a dot matrix which can do several lines per pass of the head - it's quite delightfully crude in terms of construction, which is why I have this sudden urge to make it able to print :-)

Is the ribbon the cloth type

Yes, cloth ribbon. There's no actual direct drive to the ribbon spools; instead there's a little clutch mechanism on the head and this snags the ribbon when the head is returning back to the left-hand margin and causes it to advance.

It doesn't look like there's direct drive to the head in the left-hand direction either, incidentally; the mechanism can advance the head to the right, and when it releases, spring tension pulls the head back to the left-hand margin. Like I said, delightfully crude. :)

If it is printing fine, but the printing is super light, this might
> help.

Well, it *sounds* like the head solenoid is operating - whether it's operating at 100% strength or travel is hard to tell. I'm wondering if I might not be able to hold a bit of sacrificial ribbon from something else in front of the head while it runs a self-test, just to make sure that the head is doing its job. The ribbon certainly looks very faded, however, so I think it's done for either way.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Jules