On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, Peter Coghlan wrote:

If you are importing files into VMS, you need to become familiar with the
EXCHANGE command.

I was a bit puzzled by this.  I thought the main use of EXCHANGE was to
to copy files to or from disk or tape volumes which are not in a native
VMS format but are in a format native to some other DEC operating system.

On vms say something like this:

        $ help analyze
        (pay attention to the parts about /rms and /fdl)

        $ help convert

build and and edit an fdl file and then say something like:

        $ convert /fdl=foo.fdl foo.old foo.new

sigh.

--
  Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
  Athabasca University                             : tuques we wear, our