On 09/21/2016 02:07 PM, Mattis Lind wrote:
I took a look at the Tektronix 4051 that we got a few years back. After
checking the PSU I turned it on and it seemed to start up fine. The machine
responded well to the keypresses but it was hardly readable on the screen.

Anyone that can give advice on what is wrong and how to deal with it. The
text on the screen is very faint and many characters are scrambled as if
the beam was moving when the points where plotted. When typing there is a
flash of the beam which is then stored as the scrambled text.

http://i.imgur.com/iQhQW67.jpg

It probably reads "SYNTAX ERROR" something on the screen.

Whoa! I think maybe some timing circuit has gone bad, probably due to bad electrolytic capacitors. You might just leave it on for a while and see if it gets better. It also looks like some of the deflection drivers may be bad, as it seems like the upper left quadrant is partially working, the rest of the screen is just a bunch of loops. It is also possible that the character generator ROM has gone bad.

Jon