On 11/02/2016 12:10 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:
On Tue, 11/1/16, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
   Also, some IBM  publications (where I'm more
familiar with their models) had  some photos
of machines that probably were in-house
prototypes that were quite different than the
production  version.
Along the same lines, the picture in the original PDP-8
manual was of a machine that had a front panel that
looked more like the PDP-5 panel than the one shipped
on the 8s.  Given how close the machines were in
architecture, it wouldn't be surprising for a prototype.
As it turns out, I saw the picture in the manual a few
years before I ever saw a real straight-8.  To this day,
the real straight-8s look a little "wrong" to me.

BLS

Yup, in fact, I think you could turn a PDP-5 into a PDP-8 with about 25 boards (one tray of system building blocks) and some wire. Mostly, add an electronic instruction counter register and alter the instruction fetch logic to stop accessing location zero. That's the only difference visible to the programmer, I think.

Jon