On 01/14/2017 12:07 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
Before the second project, I inherited a microscope like the one you showed, which I used for inspection. And for a few bits of rework. I found it hard to get the hand-eye coordination correct working through the microscope, so I didn't use it for assembly. If I had to (even finer work) I'd have to learn that skill; obviously it can be done but it didn't come naturally and so far it wasn't needed. paul
I've done thousands of chips using a microscope. Anything down to SOIC size (1.27mm lead pitch) I can do quite nicely without aids. But, SSOP and the big flat packs benefit greatly from magnification. A steady table, so the microscope doesn't bounce is quite important, too. I've done down to 0.4mm lead pitch on some chips that are beyond the capability of our P&P machine by hand with the microscope.

Jon