On 1/16/2017 3:58 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:
I have installed SunoS 4.1.4 on a an IPX and then tried to start Open
Windows 3  from the command line.

I get a garbled screen that looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jWcbqYO.jpg?1

It looks like there is a mismatch between what resolution Open WIndows is
using and how the frame buffer is configured. My screen reports that the
framebuffer is outputting 1280x1024@76Hz.

How can this be adjusted? I have read this manual:
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/sun/openWindows/Open_Windows_Version_3_Installation_and_Start-Up_Guide_Sep91.pdf

and various FAQs trying to modify EEPROM settings etc but it won't work.

I understand that the 13W3 cable includes a number of sense lines so that
the framebuffer can adjust to the monitor used. I haven't checked how 13W3
to VGA cable is configured but I assume it tells the FB to use
1280x1024@76Hz since it is what the screen reports.
I think you may need to force the display if you can to the 1000x1022 resolution. That doesn't sound too far off what I recall the resolutions were.

are you connecting into the thing thru serial so you can poke around? I don't recall for sure if the default loaded system allows serial login, but you might be able to get on thru the serial port and adjust things as well. I didn't read the guide above, this is from fighting with the systems long ago.

I used a box that was made by Raritan or such to convert the video and keyboard to allow connection to VGA KVM and those boxes had some active circuitry in them to do things with the selects. They weren't doing anything as far as sync adjustment, but may have pulled a different set of settings to both the Sun system and to the KVM and on to the display. I did not have much trouble with that, so don't recall having to play with the frame buffer settings.

thanks
Jim
On the other hand, when SunOS boots it finds the cgsix0 and reports that
the resolution is 1000x1022!?

Any idea on how to set different resolutions in Open Windows? What I am not
understanding here? The word resolution is not even mentioned in the
Installation manual for Open Windows above...

/Mattis