On 03/01/2017 10:52 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

On 3/1/2017 8:36 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
That's one area where CRTs are sooo much better. The S/360 machines just pounded the hell out of the SYSLOG device. I guess the Selectrics were better than the Model B-based console typewriters, which always
seemed as if they were going to fly apart.

As a typewriter, the Selectric is pretty good. I still have a correcting Selectri III with a broken drive belt (I have a new belt waiting to be installed), but I haven't gotten up the courage to repair
it myself yet--it's not a simple job.

--Chuck
IBM called up the local guy for our area when the University bought the 360/50 and told him to report for training. They delivered a /40 for a year because of problems with making the 50 work.

He was the regional IBM Selectric repair guy. The 1050 on our systems always ran fine. As did all the Selectrics around the area. He still had those support calls.

Well, I remember the /50 at Rolla, they ran very little locally while I was there, mostly used it as an RJE terminal. Cards and 1402 printer. So, the 1050 was not real busy. The /65 at Wash U was very heavily used, and souped up to the 9's. It had dual internal memories (as opposed to the horrible predecessor, a model 50 with LCS, which made it run slower than a /40). With the dual identical memory units, you could use interleaving. Anyway, they had 2 Memorex 3764 DASD controllers, first with Calcomp 3330 emulators, and then with Memorex 3350 substitutes. They got Memorex to hack up a version of MP65 so that they could take advantage of RPS. They also had a bank of Hitachi 200 IPS tape drives. And, so, the 1050 was just chattering away almost constantly from about 7 AM to 7 PM. I think they finally got a CRT for the tape operator. But, they kept the 1050 as main console for the hardcopy record.

Jon