insisted that Valtrep was the predecessor of FORTRAN 'course he also
had OS/2 for the PDP-11, and a PROGRAM that could duplicate alignment
disks, . . .
Isn't "Valdtrep" a Norwegian march by Johannes Hanssen?
It's Valdres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdres and Valdres
march.
Oh, I know--I was making a joke.  It's a fine march and I've performed
it in conCert bands many times.

and, although we don't know when YOU were playing it, the march had been around half a century, so was probably playing on the radio to inspire Backus. Does that mean that Dan. might be right about it being the predecessor to FORTRAN?

OB_Trivia: Originally "FORTRAN" was a portmanteau of "FORmula TRANslation".
cf. Lewis Carroll, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/portmanteau
(Q: Why would anybody make a computer language out of a big suitcase?
 A: for portability!)
In 1992?, the revised standard changed the official spelling from FORTRAN to Fortran, (Fortran 8X, Fortran 90) Valtrep came long after FORTRAN, and had no discernable influence on Fortran.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com