On 2017-07-14 11:13 AM, Doug Ingraham via cctalk wrote:
The amount of data stored on 325 tapes would have been at most 58.5
gigabytes assuming 6250 encoding and single records over the length of the
tape.  Given the time frame I would guess that these were probably only 800
bpi and thus the max would have been 7.5 gigabytes.  And probably at most
half of that even assuming full tapes due to small records and all the
inter record gaps.  After applying modern compression techniques we are
looking at less than a gig of data.  You probably can't find any cute cat
videos on You tube that take that little of space.

What is sad is that some minor functionary was allowed to make the
recommendation to destroy this.

Calculations of how much storage would be required aren't of much interest if the data itself isn't safely or cost effectively recoverable.

The fault here isn't with NASA -- it's that few of us are able to store artefacts in suitable conditions, have means or time to properly process or archive or publish them, or have succession plans for what's in our basements. Of course, relatives (if any) eventually have to deal with them at the worst moment, generally without means, context, or time.

--T