> On Jul 28, 2017, at 9:19 AM, Sam O'nella via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> I dont think I've heard if the history of the technology behind cds. Was it
> SRI? I only thought the first cdrom software at least was that encyclopedia
> on CD?
> This being 14" just sounds like a disk platter.

It's obviously not a CD.  It might be just a brown disk with scratches, being
sold as something unusual to the gullible.  Or it might be an optical disk of
some sort, but not all optical disks are CDs.

I don't know if DEC was the first to publish software on CDROM; it certainly
was fairly early.  I remember hearing that DEC was building a CD factory to be
able to do so -- that apparently was before you could find people to do it for
you.  I forgot the date; not long after audio CDs appeared.  The VMS License
Manager was invented to deal with software on CDs, I think.

        paul