On 7/30/2017 7:47 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk wrote:
So, I have lately been using PDP11GUI to retrieve images of RK05 disk packs and
to write images to these packs on a PDP-11.  This is awesome, but its a bit
frustrating that it takes a couple hours to read or write an image this way.

I do, however, have a couple of DR11-C parallel interface cards.  It occurred
to me that it might be pretty straightforward to interface one of these to an
FPGA eval card, and this would give me a much higher-bandwidth way to move data
on and off the PDP-11 (in fact, the RK11 could even be run in
non-increment-address-mode pointed at the DR11-C, which would be pretty speedy.)

Another approach might be to interface the DR11 directly to a 1284-to-USB
adapter.  This would only be eight bits wide, so you couldn't use the direct
RK11/DR11 NPR hack, but it would still be a lot faster than 9600 baud serial.

Before I put too much thought into either of these, I thought I'd ping here to
see if anybody else has already interfaced a DR11 in either of these two ways?

     cheers,
       --FritzM.

Or interface the DR11-C parallel port to an Arduino (I like the Mega2560 boards myself) that has an SDcard shield.

Then just write a bit of Arduino code to interface to the DR11-C port and write data to the SDcard using the SDfat library.

When done, just sneakernet the SDcard over to your PC and copy the files.

On the PDP-11 side just write a little macro11 program that reads all blocks of the disk and dumps them to the DR11-C, with appropriate handshaking, of course.

Don