Van: Henk Gooijen via cctalk<mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Verzonden: zaterdag 9 september 2017 06:55
Aan: General Discussion: On-Topic Posts<mailto:cct...@classiccmp.org>
Onderwerp: Seeking VT180 floppy drive connection cable BC26K

Hi list readers,

I have a VT180 and two dual 5.25” floppy drive units.
I am not planning on connecting both drive boxes, just one.
From documentation, I understand that you need one BC26K
cable to connect the VT180 to the (first) floppy drive unit.

The cable is shielded and has at both ends a 37-pin sub-D connector.

First question.
Is the pin-out 1:1, that is pin #1 -> pin #1, pin #2 -> pin #2, etc.?

Second question.
If the pin-out is 1:1, then if I place the floppy drive unit on top of
the VT180, could I get away with a simple short 37-wire flat cable?
All even pins are IIRC “ground”, so crosstalk would be minimal.

Third question.
Does anybody have a BC26K for sale?
The original cable is of course the nicest option 😊

Thanks,
Henk
Update!!
I looked at my VT180 and the floppy drive box, and have to make
corrections to my earlier post.   The connector on the VT180 is a
37-pin sub-D, but the connector on the floppy drive unit is a DB-25!
So a 1:1 flatcable surely is not correct.
In EK-VT18X-TM-001 on page 3-37 is a table with the pins and
signals of the 37-pin sub-D.  An other correction: the *odd* pins are
connected to ground.

Finally, after google searching, I found Will Kranz’s
http://www.willsworks.net/pdp-11/vt1xx#VT180 page.
It lists the interconnection as follows.
<copy>
I only show existing pins below, many slots were blank on both

ie db37: 1-5, 7,11,13,15,17,   |  db25  14,17-19

         29,32,33,35-37        |

                db37  db25

                6       1

                8            2

                9      15

                10      3

                12      4

                14      5

                16      6

                18      7

                19     20

                20      8

                21     21

                22      9

                23     22

                24     10

                25     23

                26     11

                27     24

                28     12

                30     25

                31     13

                34     16
</copy>
If somebody has the BC26K cable, could you check/verify these connections?
Then I can make my own connection cable and start CP/M on the VT180 …
Thanks,
Henk