then..... who was..... the  TRUE  first?

Ed#

In a message dated 9/10/2017 11:08:54 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
cctalk@classiccmp.org writes:

>  RIP  Jerry Pournelle, the first author to write a novel on a  computer
FIRST??!?
By now, you should know better than to EVER use that  word in the presence
of those who were there during the history - it's  comparable to saying
that Steve Jobs invented the first computer, or that  billg invented the
first software.

NO.
He was an early  adopter.
He was a major influence.
He was a friend.   (and  sometimes a pompous buffoon of a friend)

My booth staff at Comdex and  West Coast Computer Faire were under strict
orders to get a beer into his  hand as soon as they saw him.  We got some
free ink, and not just for  the cold beer.  He and Roberta [Pournelle]
convinced "Bait" to  specialize in computers in her booth-bimbo career,
surprised that she  didn't end up CEO of HP or the like.
(In my company, similar to Autodesk,  people chose their own job titles.  I
was "Programmer".  My  assistant eventually changed from "Emperor of The
Galaxy" to  "VP")

But, there were MANY obscure, mostly unpublished, manuscripts  among the
VERY first uses of word processing.  Well before Jerry got  into computers.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred          ci...@xenosoft.com

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/9/16279582/jerry-pournelle-science-fiction-a

--