Thanks for all the suggestions, I am still a little undecided on what to do, so
I have a few follow-up questions

1. Pete, you said to use solder paste and associated flux. I had a look on the
Farnell site and there seem to be quite a few different types. I don't really
understand the difference (for example what does "activated" mean?). Can you
suggest a reasonable general purpose option? What flux would need to go with it?

2. This talk of cracking out the bottom piece is interesting as I was looking
at the socket I have bought, and reaching some of the corner pins will be
tricky if using an iron from above. But what does it mean when people say
putting the bottom piece back in? The socket I have is one-piece, to take out
the bottom you have to break it off, so what use is it to put the bottom piece
back? If there are two-piece sockets that make the bottom piece removable I
have not been able to find them.

3. Am I right that one suggestion (from Shadoooo) is to pre-solder the pads on
the board instead of on the socket? I already use leaded-solder by the way.

Thanks

Rob