Al said:
> I had to fix a key on CHM's keyset today, so I shot a bunch of pictures while
> it was apart
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/xerox/alto/Alto_5-Key_Keyset
>
> They spent a lot of money on this. There are two castings of the same
> material as the keyboard
> and monitors, and two injection molded parts for the keys and the four
> spacers betwen the microswitches.

Al, that's fabulous! Thanks for providing some more insight into one of those
input devices that
fell by the wayside in the annals of human-computer interaction like the light
pen, versawriter,
space ball and others.
I would think Xerox contracted out the design to a capable engineering firm,
handed them a prototype and
a pot of money and the instructions 'make a nice one of this, we want X of them
please'.

Your pictures especially the internal details will really help in my drawings.
I've started on Marc's
photos, first thing I do is rotate the images to level them up, although so far
they are only about a degree
or two out which is pretty good for eyeballed shots. The next step is the image
is loaded as a background
layer in CAD then overdrawn with construction lines. Same for the plan and
elevation, then they are
brought together onto one drawing and stretched to fit eatch other. At least
one of the three images will
have a known length so at that point the whole drawing gets scaled to actual
size. It's a slow process.

Steve.