From: cctech <cctech-boun...@classiccmp.org> on behalf of Peter Allan via
cctech <cct...@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 12:02 PM
To: camiel.vanderhoe...@vmssoftware.com; cct...@classiccmp.org
Subject: RE: Convex C220 lives

Hi Camiel,

Nice to hear that you have the Convex C220 up and running.

Regarding things to run on it, starting with LINPACK is probably a good
idea. However, in term of what they were actually used for back in the
1980's, I know that they were popular with the radio astronomy community,
starting with the Convex C1. The package called AIPS (Astronomical Image
Processing System) was the most popular way of processing data from
multi-antenna telescopes like the VLA in New Mexico.

AIPS (written in Fortran) is now known as AIPS Classic, to distinguish it
from AIPS++ (written in C++) which was developed in the 1990's. There is
plenty of information about it on the internet. If you have any difficulty
getting the code, let me know as I might be able to help.

AIPS is very portable; before the era of the mini-supers, it ran on a lot
of VAXen (yeah!!) amongst other things.

Cheers

Peter Allan

[https://www.vaxbarn.com//images/convex/1/1.png]<http://www.vaxbarn.com/index.php/other-bits/603-convex-c220>

Convex C220<http://www.vaxbarn.com/index.php/other-bits/603-convex-c220>
www.vaxbarn.com
VAXBARN: Camiel Vanderhoeven's computer collection