On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Ed Sharpe via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> we see this same effect in large studio cameras on board monitors they
> have. we have just left as us as the large all tube innards do not work
> alas....  Ed#
>
> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
>
> On Monday, September 25, 2017 Ian S. King <isk...@uw.edu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM, <couryho...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> Folks - Any idea what causes the screen rot?
>

> also  any preventative measures to  keep it  from happening or spreading?
>
> Ed#
>

> It's the understood chemical decomposition of the adhesive that holds the
> screen shield to the CRT.  It's pretty much inevitable, from what I
> understand.  The solution is to separate the shield from the CRT, clean the
> face of the CRT and reattach the shield.  Some people don't reattach it,
> and some people think they are risking serious injury - no opinion. Will
> the newer adhesives hold up better?  We hope so.  -- Ian
>
> --
>
> Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
> The Information School

A common trick amongst TV collectors with the large 23" round CRTs is to
carefully remove the tube and place it face down in a kiddy pool of
lukewarm water. Let it sit an hour or two in the sun and the faceplate will
slide right off.

To re-adhere the glass after cleaning, one technique is to use double sided
foam tape on the face around the perimeter; similar thickness to the
original PVA and holds well, especially if under slight compression once
the tube is reinstalled. -C