Update: I bought the Kennedy 9800 as it pushed all my buttons at once.

Now I'm looking for 8" mag tapes/reels that will fit! Anyone know where I
can find these, maybe 3pcs? I could laser-cut some frosted acrylic or
machine some frosted polycarbonate I suppose but I'd rather just buy it,
plus that would include a dust cover.

On a related note my plan is to make a USB-based, Pertec-compatible
controller for it. Not sure how SimH connects with peripherals so I'm
/very/ eager to talk with someone familiar with its workings. I'll also
release all the board files and firmware as open-source. Timeline as always
is completely unknown, though I do have a now-vested interest in making it
work.

Be well!

--
Anders Nelson