> And, that won't work, either.  The BIOS in older machines will not work
> right at ALL with a high capacity drive.
> In some cases you will get a usable volume with vastly reduced
> capacity, but in most cases it will just not recognize the drive at
> all.  I'm not talking about original AT's here, but mid-90's 386 and
> 486 systems.
> I can only imagine a real AT would be even less likely to handle a
> drive over about 40 MB.

This is really not a big issue. All you need is a BIOS on the IDE controller
card. It was very common back in the day that many add-in drive controllers had
their own BIOS so you are not even breaking new ground here. In fact someone
far more talented then I could probably design a 16bit controller card w/ its
own BIOS that also has the PATA -> SATA adapter interface built in all on one
card and your 5170 can be rocking an SSD drive! Heck the XT-IDE project
practically does this already with a CF or SD card plugged into the card...