On 10/06/2017 10:53 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:
> After the discussion last year about lifting and racking heavy gear, I bodged
> together some hardware and
> came up with the PDP-Lifter. It allows easy movement, lifting and lowering
> for racking and unracking equipment
> in 19" racks. Specifically for PDP-11's and the H960, but could be used for
> pretty much any other old stuff.
>
> I've written a blurb with construction details which you can find at
>     http://web.aanet.com.au/~malikoff/pdp11/PDP-Lifter/

That's a great idea!

I was looking at motorcycle/mower lifts (under $100 at Harbor Freight)
as a way to avoid the strain on my back.  Lifting a 100 lb. tape drive
is beyond my waning abilities.   It's a tough truth--when I was younger,
I could toss around a 90 lb. bag of Sackrete without much effort.  Now I
have to bribe a neighbor with beer to help me out.

My biggest problem with heavy the stuff is stairs.   Perhaps your gizmo
could be adapted to an appliance dolly...

--Chuck