On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Jerry Weiss via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> On Oct 7, 2017, at 12:55 PM, jos via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>

>> Looks like another computer will be joining the stable shortly, containing a
>> Diablo 31 drive.
>>
>> From the manual it looks that it does not need heads to be locked down for
>> transport, so I should be save there.
>>
>> But since i will need to fabricate cables : are connector plugs still
>> obtainable ?
>> And what are people using for air filters these days ?
>>

>> Jos
>>

> There wasn’t a head lock. The head loading mechanism are designed to retract
> them
> from the surface when the power is removed.

True, because there doesn't need to be one.

The Diablo positioner is strange. For one thing it is a permanent
magnet motor and
rack-and-pinion mechanism (!). But the important thing here is that
the heads are
loaded to the platter by a solenoid. Not by loading ramps like in an
RK05. So even
if the heads move out from the home position they will not touch (and will not
touch a disk if one is in the drive).

-tony