On 10/08/2017 10:42 AM, dwight via cctalk wrote:
> One wonder how many SW hams were active in the Caribbean. Most hams today
> seem to be into 2 meter and not so much long range SW.
The HF 3-30 mhz spectrum has propagation that makes long range possible
at modest power.
The Caribbean hams have to get back on the air first.  Their priority is
family, home, and security.
As it is many have recovered some and are moving health and welfare
messages.

Before the two hurricanes there was a good deal of activity on hf.

> I would suspect it was still quite important.
It still is as it provides the longer range link that VHF generally cannot.
With the addition of digital modes Winlink,Pactor, and others it give the
supplemental connections that can out reach a broken infrastructure
area and provide connectivity to the Internet at some point where that
is functional.

Like networking you have layers of communications.  VHF is local and
can be very portable.  For longer wide area communications you resort
to lower frequencies for the ability to reach beyond the horizon.

The reason ham radio is important is not unlike adhoc networks, they
can setup and do useful communications independent of infrastructure.
An example is a group of volunteers went to PR to provide radio support
for agencies and utilities there that are out of the range of working
cells (last heard 1300 out of 1600 cell sites are down) and land mobile
systems that often shares the same towers or resources like back
up power.

Doesn't hurt that lowering costs of high performance batteries (LiFePo)
and solar panels make off the grid radio at moderate power (100W)
on HF very doable.  I know this because that how my station and a few
computers are run without connection to the grid.

> As a fun project, a number of years ago, I used a modem card with a DSP chip
> to decode radio weather fax. I used to DSP to be a narrow band filter and to
> digitize the signal, when connected to a receiver. As far as I know, they
> still transmit weather fax on SW.
Wefax is still there, PCs or even RaspberryPi/Beaglebone and other ARM
platforms make it
easier to do and continue to lower the power and space needed to do this..

Its easy to do now using PC as the processing platform and sound cards
as the baseband IO.
Many of the newer radios even have the sound card and USB IO built in to
make the physical
connection easier.

Computers and communications have been married for many decades and well
before PCs.
An example was a friends VHF packet node that relied on a Commodore to
do store and
forward back when Internet was called Arpanet.

Way off topic I know but computers are a part of communications,and have
been for a long time.

Allison/kb1gmx