Since you know the pinout of the SIO chip, you might first look to see if where
the rx and tx pins go. This may require some hunting with an ohm meter. I'd
suspect they go to a RS232 level shifter.

You may also have to write some code to run the serial chip and any possible
external loopback. As I recall these chips may have an internal loopback.

If you have a working logic analyzer, you can trigger on the select pin to the
SIO and look to see what address the SIO is located at. That will allow you to
create some debug code.

I'm not saying this is easy. Still, this is the way I'd attack the problem as a
start.

You have to realize, there is not much more we can do for you.

Creating a ROM with a diagnostic looping program is about the only practical
way to deal with a machine with no documentation.

I fixed an old mini once without schematics but it was all DTL and TTL and
there were signal names at the card edges.

You have a Z80 computer. If you can program EPROMs you have a chance, otherwise
it is unlikely that your current easter egg hunting method is likely to be very
fruitful. You have already gone through most all of the likely failure items.
From here you will likely have to begin to troubleshoot.

Dwight