On 11/7/2017 7:53 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:

They looked like giant purple snowballs.
The droppings destroy the paint on your car, however.  Irvine is covered with them.  There is another tree with a red flower that has the tendril type bloom, I couldn't find what they were called.  Same problem with paint.  Maybe someone here more familiar with tree blooms might know.

Just called them red and purple trees, but did know the purple was the Jacaranda.

Would have loved to visit, if you come back out, let me know.
thanks
Jim