On 12/30/2017 07:43 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, ben via cctalk wrote:
I find I want use computers less , 5+ minutes to boot something that then needs to check the net. I use a all valve audio system and tubes are warmed up and ready to go before my music app exits the splash screen.

The "modern" computer is much faster, but it takes forever and a half before it is ready to use that speed.

5 MINUTES? My old laptop, with very modest CPU, is logged on, from a cold start, in 15 seconds (including me typing the password). That is with Ubuntu Linux. I don't know how long it takes my desktop to boot up, I think a bit longer, but I just leave it on all the time. I do have solid state drives in both those machines.

Jon