On 01/13/2018 06:38 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

And even worse, if he took too long, a fun feature of MVT and not corrected in MVS was if a console channel went unavailable for too long, the system would crash. Luckily the game would print out a line, and a blob of console messages would come out then ask for another move.

Took 10 minutes to lose a game.

The system administrators regenerated the system to add privilege and authorization to jobs using WTOR which they'd missed.

We found other fun holes like that in MVT.

Yup, OS/360 had a number of holes wide enough to let 5 ocean liners through, abreast. My favorite was the stock exception handler for the SPIE (specify program interruption exit) allowed you to change a program from problem state to supervisor state. Nobody ever thought anybody would ever abuse such a thing.

Jon