On 02/19/2018 02:26 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 02/19/2018 11:48 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
Even more to bring one back on-line, which is why it's impractical
to restore in the foreseeable future.
I can't even imagine the effort it would take to get a 7090 or 7094
operating again using volunteer labor.

--Chuck

Yup. I don't know how much logic is in a 1401, but probably in between 500 and 1000 SMS cards. Apparently, getting the CHM 1401 running was a multi-year project. The 7094 has 11,000 SMS cards!!! Completely beyond comprehension. Given the technology, I'm not sure how IBM kept these running when NEW with a box of spare cards on site. And, given how my uVAX-II deteriorated over only 21 years of use (biggest problem was the backplane finger contacts slowly got unreliable), I can't imagine what kind of HELL one would go through with 11,000 circuit cards! Holy Moly!

Jon