Hitachi 3 and 4tb are VERY good, as are the equivalent Toshiba from when WD
divested themselves
of the Hitachi hi-end line.

Been runnning 4 HGST 4TB for a long while now at home and have been really happy. My best disks.

1tb was the switchover point to vertical recording, so those (and esp seagate
1.5tb) are terrible

Ah, have a bunch of used 1.5TB seagates and there was about a 70% failure rate but I assumed it was due to age on disk and going from 24x7 to off for a few months then back on. Hoping to move off of those onto 30TB of WD disks soon if the drives aren't totally dead.

I have a few helium-filled drives spinning. They've been fine, but I don't know
for how long yet.

Have a few HGST 8TB He drives at $work, out of 50 or so maybe 1 failure in 2 years. Very solid but our most expensive drives until you get into flash storage.

I'm interested to hear how the 12TB Seagates perform. A friend I believe got a few hundred in so it will be interesting in a year to hear if they're reliable or not.