I know of no RAID setup that can save me >from stupid.

I use rsync. I manually rsync the working disks to the backup disks every week or two. Working disks have the shares to other hosts. If something happens to that data, deleted by accident or encrypted by malware. Meh.

Hardware like netapp and maybe filesystems in open source have those awesome snapshot systems with there is directory tree that has past time version of data. A directory of 15 minutes ago, one of 6 hours ago, etc is what we had setup at a prior gig.

--
: Ethan O'Toole