On 07/22/2018 10:52 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 07/22/2018 06:33 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Jul 21, 2018, at 3:25 PM, Carlo Pisani via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

and what about magnetic-tapes? (e.g. DDS4, DLT, LTO2)

which of them lasts for the most?
I don't know specifically.  I do know that plain old audio tapes may fail -- I
have perhaps 100 cassettes recorded in the 1970s.  Most of them are fine, but
essentially all of them that are Fuji brand have failed utterly.
Half-inch open-reel tape at 1600 PE density.  Should be good for 50
years at least.

Well, you are one of the experts in this, but it all depends on storage conditions. Also, the extended-length tapes were too thin, and suffered from creasing and print-through. Badly stored, and you can kiss your data goodbye in less than 5 years.

Jon